My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://mommabean.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, October 10, 2006
Do you remember when you used to make mixed tapes? For your best friend's birthday? Your trip to Cedar Point with the gang? For the boy that you had a crush on for three years but never got the nerve to talk to? Of the songs that would remind you of your days in high school as you made the hour and a half trek up to college?

It was an imperfect science, the making of that tape. What would only take minutes today to download and burn onto your blank CD used to take days, maybe weeks of painstakingly finding and recording the songs onto your portable tape player. I remember one time when I waited for days to hear a particular song on the radio so that I could record it for my current mixed tape. And I remember cursing the DJ who had the nerve to talk over the closing notes.


And when you were done and had every song neatly written on a sheet of paper (with a not so brief summary of why you chose that song) and the paper folded just so, in an origami inspired rectangle, you beamed with pride and hoped that the recipient of this mixed tape would appreciate the work that you put into the tape.


With that in mind, I give you my mixed tape for the Beans. And, I tag you to make a "mixed tape" for your special someone (be it toddler, s/o or canine).


1. My Heart Will Go On - Celine Dione
This is the song that was playing on the CD player on January 13, 2005, when I first saw the specks of black inside of me that looked tellingly like two little beans floating around in space.


2. Heaven - Warrant
What can I say, except that I love hair bands! And that I sang this to you often while you were wobbling around inside. Sure, it's not Chopin or Bach, but it's got some redeeming qualities right?


3. Girls Just Wanna Have Fun - Cyndi Lauper
This song actually reminds me of my sisters. Until you have your own song for each other, I will let you borrow ours.


4. Home - Michael Buble
I listened to this song over and over again while I was stranded in the hospital for weeks in pre-term labor. There was one night in the hospital that I literally did not sleep and I thought that I was losing my mind. This song soothed me when no one else was around. The song speaks for itself.


5. Seven - Norah Jones
Have you heard of this song? If not, I recommend that you do. It's...sweet. This is another that I used to sing aloud while I was pregnant. Before I knew what A would look like, I imagined that the girl that is sung about in this song looked exactly like A. What do you think?


6. SexyBack - Justin Timberlake
Not really a song that a mother would choose for her bean, but it's the song that Her Royal Pieness first loved and danced her little heart out to whenever she heard it. Even after it's been played one too many times on the radio, I'll play it loud and watch her smile and start her wild dancing. It makes my day.


7. Elmo's World - Elmo
I'm convinced that Elmo is the Jim Jones of the toddler world. Elmo makes everything better. Just believe in Elmo. La-la-la-la, la-la-la-la! Elmo's World!


8. You and Me - Lifehouse
Another song that speaks for itself. This is cheating, I know, but what more can I say? Whatever it is, it won't be as eloquent or have such a catchy tune!


9. One - U2
I just included this one because it is my favorite song of all time. And seemed appropriate here.


10. Beautiful - James Blunt
Aside from the f-bomb (did I just say that?) being dropped in the middle of the song, I play this for you on our way home from G&G's house to lull you to sleep. Inevitably, one of you falls asleep and one of you graciously listens to my caterwauling. Except, when that word comes on, then I say something like, "oops!" or "close your ears!" or something else completely insane and motherly. But then, after I say it, I smile and think about how this is just more proof that I am a Momma Bean and you are my beautiful legumes!

Labels:



4 Comments:

Blogger Amanda said...

I love your new blog design! It is new, isn't it?? I've been trying to get mine fancied up... did you do yours?

Blogger Momma Bean said...

Just click on the "zoot" link on the bottom right hand side of the screen. She's got several very cute free templates and will load it for you for a very small fee! I love it! The blue design was also another free one that I found, but I wanted a bit of a change. I am glad you liked it!

Blogger Mom101 said...

I think we can safely say that this is the first ever mixed tape with both U2 AND Celine Dion!

Blogger Vety said...

I love your blog layout!!! I'll miss the other one but this one is fahbulous dahling!

I love your mix tape!! All hit home with me, I will however add the following:
1. Beautiful boy - John Lennon (I've been playing/badly singing that one to them since I found out they were boys)
2. Lullaby - Dixie Chicks - breaks my heart every time.
3. Alejandro Sanz - this song he sings that of course I can't think of at the moment, gets them quiet so quick it's scary...damn what is the name??
4. Any song by Mana - because they're my children and quite frankly it's in their blood to love momma's favorite group in the whole wide world.
5. Beautiful Day - U2 - that's the song I was listening to when I found out I was preggy and was frantically putting together the way I would tell Big Poppa that we were preggy.

Side Notes:

1. Elmo's world - first song that they got down to
2. Last night, Edson danced to the "Inked" show theme song...yikes...tats at 1 year old?

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer