My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://mommabean.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, September 26, 2006
Well, I survived my first 24 hours away from the Beans. Are you shocked that I was nervous about this?

Everyone said, “Go, have fun! Get romantical with your boy!” and assured me that they would not miss me, wouldn’t keep G&G awake pining for me, would not get lost, kidnapped, stolen, etc.

I am ashamed to say that I didn’t have time to miss them. I wanted to spend the morning with them having Cheerios and watching Sesame Street, but ever the procrastinator, I still had to pack, run to the ATM and find some Static Guard and Kleenex before 8:00 a.m. By the time I settled on the floor, amidst the Mega Bloks and pulled off socks, the doorbell was ringing. I quickly kissed them on the cheeks, ran through the schedule with J and was out the door before I could take one last look.

The whole day was a flurry of activity. Between getting beautified, getting to the golf course and making sure that the bride had everything she needed, I didn’t think twice about the girls. Yes, I shared a couple of anecdotes and showed off a photo or two, but I didn’t sit and dwell and long for them like I do everyday while I am at work. J only called me eleven a couple of times. They were fine. They didn’t need me.

The wedding was beautiful and just as I had imagined. The bride was radiant and I have never seen the groom happier. I make it a point, during weddings, to watch the groom while everyone else is watching the bride walk down the aisle. To see his reaction when he first glimpses the bride. There is something so pure and joyful in that initial response…when he catches his breath, when his eyes brim with tears that he didn’t expect and when he cracks the smile that is only for his bride. I live for that moment in every wedding ceremony. And this one was just as rewarding.

The reception afterwards was grand. I reconnected with my old cohorts and even J loosened up a bit and had four, count them, FOUR glasses of beer. That nutball! Still, no pangs. At one point in the evening, I was accosted by five little girls, all decked out in their best pink party dresses. I was feeling spiffy after more than three glasses of wine, so I proposed to the ladies that we spin in our dresses. What good is a pink party dress if you don’t twirl in it? They obliged and I’m sure that we looked darling and that I was the only one wobbling away from that circle. While we were dancing, J pointed out one of my new little pink friends and said that she reminded him of A and that he couldn’t wait to see them again. I immediately felt guilty because, while I was off being a bridesmaid, J was being the daddy who was missing his beans.

We woke up at 7:30 a.m. the next morning and giggled to each other. The girls were probably up and lively for my parents. Hah! They had to make heads or tails of a diaper while bleary eyed and without caffeine, while we were snuggled warm in bed! Didn’t miss that! We promptly dozed for another two hours.

At around 9:30 a.m. I awoke with a start. I fumbled with the blankets, stretched with a bit of exaggeration, but J wouldn’t budge. I flipped over, “accidentally” kicked him and coughed. Nothing. Finally, I sat up.

“Let’s get the girls.”
Mumble, mumble. I nudge him again.
“Let’s go!”
“Go back to sleep. They’re fine.”
“C’mon! We can call my parents and tell them to meet us for breakfast.”

I was starting to panic. I couldn’t get to them fast enough. I called my mom to make the arrangements. I pushed, shoved, threw J out the door. I had to get to them.

The drive to my parents’ house felt like it took hours. I jumped out of the car before J could get to a complete stop. When I walked in, M was sitting in the living room watching her beloved Sesame Street. She looked over at me for not more than five seconds and returned to her program.

A was upstairs with my mom. She wasn’t interested in my arrival either.

Apparently they didn’t miss me either!

Labels: ,



2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I love weddings too! Everyone dressed up, and, the little flower girl dresses! I have to leave my little ones to go out of town to a wedding and, Im already feeling anxious about it. I will miss them, and I hope I will get a good welcome home when I get back!

Blogger Vety said...

awwww, I'm sorry they didn't jump for joy, you know they missed you though! It could be worse though, whenever my SIL goes to pick up her daughter from her MIL, the little girl runs away and cries because she doesn't want to leave. ouch.

where are the wedding pics???

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer