My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://mommabean.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, November 22, 2006
The One Where Bert and Ernie Made Me Cry.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

It's the eve before the beginning of Christmas Season. We mark this celebration with a feast of turkey, dressing and pumpkin pie. Thanksgiving is just the meal the fuels me for the weeks to come. On Friday, we will put up the Christmas tree and cross our fingers that it doesn't come crashing to the floor once in the next several weeks. I've almost convinced myself that there won't be an incident, despite the fact that said tree will stir much curiosity amongst the Beans. I'll also begin Christmas shopping this weekend. I'll coax J into putting up Christmas lights. I pull out my favorite Christmas movies and put them on rotation for the next month. J is worried that I'll get worse now that the Beans are here. Last year I didn't have the time or the energy to dive into the season, as the girls were only three months old, I was just back to work and we had just moved into our home.

Yesterday, I caught A Sesame Street Christmas Carol with the Beans at my parents' house. I was preoccupied with the latest People Magazine, but A began chanting fervently when Rubber Ducky came on the television screen, "Duck! Duck! Duck!" I started watching with them.

It was the part where Bert and Ernie each think of the perfect gift to get their roommate. Bert decides to get a soap dish for Ernie to leave his beloved Rubber Ducky. Ernie is determined to get a cigar box where Bert can safely keep his prized paper clips. Both of them go to Mr. Hooper's to get the gifts, first Ernie, then Bert. Neither of them have any money, but they want to get just the right thing for the other, so both of them part with their most prized possession. Bert trades his paper clips for the soap dish and Ernie trades Rubber Ducky for the cigar box.

It is actually possible to see the range of emotions on their faces. Really! My eyes began to well up when they exchange gifts and realize what the other had sacrificed to bring joy to his friend. In the end, Mr. Hooper visits, bringing gifts for Bert and Ernie. You guessed it. He was so touched by their act of friendship and sacrifice that he brought them their things.


How sweet was that?! We could all learn something from the original AGD!

Labels:



1 Comments:

Blogger Vety said...

we were just talking about this story this morning! Ok, so let me get this straight, they're talking!!?? Seriously, mine won't talk!!!

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer