My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://mommabean.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, July 11, 2006
Remember paper dolls? I used to love getting the books and punching out the perforated outfits and costumes and dress my girl up in her finest. I had period costumes, beachwear, party dresses and wedding gowns and I cherished them all. Lori posted this adorable site that lets you create your own virtual paper doll. After I discovered the site, I impatiently shoved my work aside and began playing.

What I came up with made me laugh. I could have chosen from countless tops and accessories and displayed my hobbies or adorable dogs proudly. But the end result suits me just fine. In fact, it makes me beam with pride. In the past year and a half, I have moved from spending countless dollars on make-up (well…except tonight) and the latest sale at The Limited and Express to piling a mound of baby clothes onto the counter at Children’s Place with a sense of satisfaction that my girls would be dressed to the nines while I traipse around in my 2004 summer wardrobe (2005 consisted of my baby blue maternity tracksuit and various hospital gowns).

My highlights and lowlights have grown out, my eyebrows are unruly and my fingers and toes look like hell. My hair can usually be found in a ponytail, since this way it’s out of reach of little hands. My Coach bag contains diaper coupons, a pacifier and a pair of (cute) baby sandals. I’ve traded in my stilettos for Old Navy flip flops (two for $5.00!) and my jewelry sits dusty in my jewelry box. Basically, I’m a mess. I’m unrecognizable. And I’m happier than I’ve ever been.

But! I’m coming out of my mommy cocoon! I’m re-emerging, thanks to sweet E’s bridal shower. The other day, my shopping pro mother and I grabbed the girls and went to The Big Mall (as Jack and Gramps calls it) and I found two adorable outfits that brought to mind the ME of the old days. BTB. Before the Beans. My hair appointment is scheduled and my eyebrows and toes have seen their last unkempt days. I knocked the socks off of J during my mini-fashion show of my new wares and the icing on the cake was the sweet deal I got tonight on a pair of shoes and MY NEW FAVORITE make-up, thanks to Stacy. I had found myself again!

Now, sitting here in my favorite jammies, I look at the little paper doll I created. It’s curious to me that I put on and then removed the adorable little tops and matching bags and replaced them with a slogan filled tank, sensible shoes, and the most important accessory of all…a stroller filled with two pink little bundles of life. That’s all I need right there to know who I am...That, and my grande nonfat white chocolate mocha. No whip. Iced during the summer.

*My hair doesn't look like that now, but that's the look I'll be going for on Saturday...what do you think my hair stylist will think when I bring her a print-out of this doll??


2 Comments:

Blogger Vety said...

You made me cry because we look the same! You are my kindred spirit!

Blogger Momma Bean said...

Awww, Bee!!!
No crying allowed!
Though...I cry a bit everytime I post something disgustingly sappy about these two.
Waterproof mascara DOES NOT work!

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer